Home Remodeling | The Home Maintenance Checklist For Fall and Winter
Home Remodeling | An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. The adage is particularly true when dealing with seasonal home maintenance. By taking a proactive approach, you’ll have ample time to manage many of the tasks yourself and to arrange for help with other items, as needed. In the long run, you’ll save yourself time, money—and a few headaches.
Here is my annual fall/winter home maintenance checklist:
1. Check Screens/Windows. Remove screens and store in the basement or garage. Check windows for gaps, cracks and/or broken seals. If the windows need to be replaced, do it now. There is a misconception that windows can’t be replaced in the winter, but we manage replacement year round, helping our customers eliminate drafts, improve energy efficiency and save big on their heating bills.
2. Test the Furnace. Turn on your furnace and check for proper function now—before you really need it—to avoid being left in the cold.
3. Clean Gutters. Make sure gutters are free of leaves, acorns, pine straw, etc. This will allow for water to drain and help prevent damming which can lead to ice damage.
4. Check Outdoor Outlets. Make sure your outdoor outlets are working now—before you head outside to string lights for the holidays.
5. Smoke Detector Audit. This is a great time of year to change the batteries in all smoke detectors and run a test to ensure they’re working properly.
6. Shut Down Outdoor Water Supply. By turning off the water supply to all outdoor faucets, you’ll help to prevent the water lines from freezing and thawing, which can cause pipes to burst and result in flooding when the weather begins to warm up in the spring.
With all of that work out of the way early, you’ll be ready for whatever the season throws at you. – Dover Remodeling
Interested in home remodeling? Contact Medina Exteriors today, (330)591-4040