What You Need to Know About Fiber Cement Siding
Siding | Have you noticed that your exterior siding is deteriorating a little? Maybe it’s about time to update your home’s exterior with some fiber cement siding. This durable material is a great option when re-siding your home. But if you’re like us, you probably need to know a little more about it before you make a decision. We’ve compiled some facts so you can learn what you need to know about fiber cement.
- What is it? – Fiber cement is made out of water, wood pulp, fly ash, and Portland cement. All of this put together makes for a very durable exterior siding.
- Durability – Fiber cement has warranties against defects from 25 years to a limited lifetime. Factory finishes have a 15-year warranty against flaking and fading.
- Care – As long as you inspect caulked joints every few years and wash down the siding with a hose on a yearly basis, your siding will keep its beautiful appearance for a very long time.
- Costs – Pricing depends on finish, size and provider but clapboards, which are the most common type, can range from 70 cents to about $5.25 per square foot uninstalled.
- Installation – Because of its weight, fiber cement can often crack if it’s mishandled. Additionally, specialized tools are needed for cutting and installing it, so you definitely want to hire a professional for installation.
- Remodeling magazine has consistently ranked re-siding with fiber cement the #1 return on investment when compared to other mid-size remodeling projects. They report that it offers the maximum return on investment at resale when re-siding is done with fiber cement.
- The return on re-siding your house with fiber cement is 25 percent higher than if you were to add a bathroom.
- Fiber cement costs less than wood, doesn’t attract pests, and resists water absorption to help protect against mold, swelling and cracking.
- Fiber cement is also non-combustible and hail-damage resistant. This feature can sometimes help reduce home insurance premiums. Ask your agent if it applies to you.
When it comes to re-siding your home, it can be challenging. Considering fiber cement is a great option because it offers great looks, durability, reasonable maintenance, and affordability like no other siding material. – Peninsula Siding Company
Interested in new home siding? Contact Medina Exteriors today, (330)591-4040Share